Reading Notes Homer's Odyssey Part A

Homer's Odyssey

For this week I chose Homer's Odyssey because I liked the Illiad a lot. I knew a little of the Illiad but coming into the Odyssey I had no clue what the story was about. After reading the description it was very interesting because it talks a lot about mythical creatures which I have been drawn to since I was a kid. The very first thing I noticed throughout the story was how descriptive it was. Homer describes the first island with the cyclopses with a lot of description. He mentioned how fertile the island was and how many animals were running around. This descriptiveness is something I might use in my storytelling because it painted a perfect picture in my head of what was happening. It adds a lot to the story because if you don't know the surroundings then it would be hard to imagine the cave they are trapped in. Another thing that stood out to me was Homer's intelligence.

Homer stabbing the cyclops in the eye, Source


The main character in this is very smart because when the cyclops asked him he said "nobody." By doing that it saved him from encountering other cyclops so he was able to escape easier. To have a main character that is like this makes the story easier to tell since the character solves his problems. I made me root for him more which made me read the story more. When they get to the other island and some of his crew is turned into pigs he has one member of his crew doubt him. That character is a very needed one because he makes Homer have to take on Circe and also take on the other character. Homer's commitment to getting his crew back just shows how loyal he is as well. If Homer's character was so intelligent, creative and loyal then this story wouldn't have made it past the first island.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6 Story: The Boss and The Secretary

Reading Notes: California and the Old Southwest Part A

Story Lab Story Revision