Story Lab: Ted Talk Creative Talks

In the first Ted Talk the woman talked about how a single story was dangerous and would create an idea in a persons head which might not be true. I really related with this story because all my life I've been part of a single story. I have had so many people come up to me and would be surprised when I would speak english clearly because their first thought was that I was born in a different country and was an immigrant. I was born here but people always reduce my life to where my parents are from and what they have seen from the news. If they were to know more stories about me then they would understand that I wasn't just a brown man but someone that was born here and understood the culture, even making it my own.

In the second Ted Talk it talked about how we are connected so much to the idea of fictional characters. I was surprised to see that people usually cared about fictional characters more but understood that they should not be feeling that way. It makes sense however because we are so attached to our fictional characters because we feel that we know them so well and they are our friend. In the case for an acquaintance it is harder since you barely know them and it feels like you wouldn't be as hurt if they were to die. It does raise an interesting question as to why we feel that way and what we should do to try and care for other people more.

The Danger of a Single Story, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Imaginary Friends and Real World Consequences: Parasocial relationships, Jennifer Barnes
Harry Potter a fictional character, Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6 Story: The Boss and The Secretary

Reading Notes: California and the Old Southwest Part A

Story Lab Story Revision