Week 12: Reading A

In this weeks reading I chose to do fairy tales because I have always heard that fairy tales are darker then they seem. I have been told that since a kid the fairy tales I hear about are not the true original stories and have deeper meanings with much more going on in the stories. Some of the stories I recognized like the one about the three little pigs and others I did not like the one about the wizard and the book.

The three little pigs story seemed like it was going to be the normal story but I never knew they had asked a man for the things to build their house. The version I heard was that the pigs just found the materials and made their houses. I had heard in one version the pigs just ran to the next house that was still standing and in another they were ate like in this version. I had never heard about how the final pig was being stalked by the wolf after he had tried to blow his brick house. The wolf tried to trick the pig into coming out of the house but the pig would always outsmart the wolf by going out a little early. It didn't make sense to me that the wolf never came back earlier after he was fooled the first time. In the end when the wolf gets so mad that he climbs the chimney and then gets burned alive then eaten by the pig it was a complete surprise to me because I had never heard of the pig eating the wolf or even killing him.

In the story about the man and the mystical book I felt like there was a teaching lesson in it. I think the lesson was to never invades someones privacy because the servant did that and almost ended up dead. I don't blame the servant for being curious but he should have been much more careful and maybe just ask the man how all of the magic works instead of trying to do it himself.


Pig building house with bricks, Source

English Fairy Tales

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6 Story: The Boss and The Secretary

Reading Notes: California and the Old Southwest Part A

Story Lab Story Revision